skip to page content

Russia's Achilles' Heel

Adam Hewison - MarketClub

Loading the player...

No doubt by now, you've heard of the problems in Russia with its currency. You have to say to yourself, "a 17% return on my money sounds pretty good," but when the ruble sinks more than that in one day, you say, "WHOA, will I get my money back?" And that my friends is Russia's Achilles' heel right now, as investors ponder whether they going to get their money back before capital controls are put in place.

If you didn't think commodity markets are important, think again. The correlation between the collapse of the Russian ruble and the collapsing oil market is extraordinary and I will illustrate it for you in today's video.  

Who knew that Saudi Arabia alone could, in essence, break the Russian economy almost in half, not with tanks and bombs, but with a commodity called crude oil.  

Saudi Arabia has continued to push production from its vast oil fields in order to lower the price of oil and make it difficult for competitors to stay in business. One of the amazing side effects to all this is the fact that Saudi Arabia has basically ripped the guts out of the Russian economy and its cash cow, crude oil.

Should Europe and the west be happy about this? I think not and here's why.

To be truthful, no one knows for sure how the scenario that's unfolding is going to play out, but it is not a healthy one in my estimation. With the Central Bank of Russia being unable to stem the decline of the ruble not only against the dollar, but against the euro and other major currencies, the next logical step for Russia will be capital controls.

Putin and the Russian people will be looking to blame someone for their misfortune and they are going to be pointing the finger at America for all the problems we have caused them. As things get more difficult in Russia and with winter coming on, Putin is going to act like a cornered animal and he will come out fighting. That may not happen right away, but it will happen sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

Many economists never expected or predicted oil would drop below the $70 a barrel level and we are now trading in the low $50s. Can oil prices go lower? Yes, of course they can. The question is, will they?

There is no crystal ball to tell us what the future's going to be in trading, all you have are the three "P's" - probabilities, possibilities and lastly, perception. You've heard me talk about this many times before, that perception is perhaps the most powerful force in the markets. Perception is a major market driver right now in all the markets around the world.

Many investors have been lulled to sleep by the US stock market, which for the most part has been moving higher and higher for the past six years. I believe that this is all coming to a head as many investors are just now getting concerned about their money. Let me give you some first-hand evidence of this, my wife and I were out to dinner on Saturday with some friends and out of the blue they asked me what I thought about the market. Now that's unusual, as we don't ever talk about the market at dinner. That struck me as unusual and I think that millions of other investors are thinking pretty much the same thing. We've had a good run, it's the end of the year let's take our profits while we still have them. All this collective thinking adds up to market pressure and the perception that stocks are going to fall.

Back to videos

Get Started With Your 30-Day MarketClub Trial Right Now

Get Started

© Copyright MarketClub™ All rights reserved | User Agreement | Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MarketClub/INO, a division of TIFIN Group LLC, is affiliated with Magnifi via common ownership. Affiliates of Magnifi will receive cash compensation for referrals of clients who open accounts with Magnifi. Due to this compensation, a conflict of interest exists since MarketClub/INO has an incentive to recommend Magnifi LLC.

Magnifi LLC does not charge advisory fees or transaction fees for non-managed accounts. Clients who elect to have Magnifi LLC manage all or a portion of their account will be charged an advisory fee. Please see Magnifi’s Form ADV for additional information about fees and charges that may apply. Magnifi LLC receives compensation from product sponsors related to recommendations. Other fees and charges may apply.

Magnifi, normally $14 per month, will be available at no additional cost to MarketClub members. Account holders must be 18 years of age and have an approved Magnifi account. Magnifi will determine qualifying account holders at its own discretion.

U.S. Government Required Disclaimer—Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Futures and Options trading has large potential rewards, but also large potential risk. You must be aware of the risks and be willing to accept them in order to invest in the futures and options markets. Don't trade with money you can't afford to lose. This is neither a solicitation nor an offer to Buy/Sell futures or options. No representation is being made that any account will or is likely to achieve profits or losses similar to those discussed on this web site. The past performance of any trading system or methodology is not necessarily indicative of future results.

CFTC RULE 4.41—HYPOTHETICAL OR SIMULATED PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE CERTAIN LIMITATIONS. UNLIKE AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE RECORD, SIMULATED RESULTS DO NOT REPRESENT ACTUAL TRADING. ALSO, SINCE THE TRADES HAVE NOT BEEN EXECUTED, THE RESULTS MAY HAVE UNDER-OR-OVER COMPENSATED FOR THE IMPACT, IF ANY, OF CERTAIN MARKET FACTORS, SUCH AS LACK OF LIQUIDITY. SIMULATED TRADING PROGRAMS IN GENERAL ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE DESIGNED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFIT OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN.

All trades, patterns, charts, systems, etc., discussed in this advertisement and the product materials are for illustrative purposes only and not to be construed as specific advisory recommendations. All ideas and material presented are entirely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the publisher or INO.com. No system or methodology has ever been developed that can guarantee profits or ensure freedom from losses. No representation or implication is being made that using the MarketClub™ methodology or system will generate profits or ensure freedom from losses. The testimonials and examples used herein are exceptional results, which do not apply to the average member, and are not intended to represent or guarantee that anyone will achieve the same or similar results. Each individual's success depends on his or her background, dedication, desire, and motivation.

It’s not goodbye, it’s hello Magnifi!

You are now leaving a Magnifi Communities’ website and are going to a website that is not operated by Magnifi Communities. This website is operated by Magnifi LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser affiliated with Magnifi Communities.

Magnifi Communities does not endorse this website, its sponsor, or any of the policies, activities, products, or services offered on the site. We are not responsible for the content or availability of linked site.

Take Me To Magnifi