skip to page content

When Perception Meets Disillusionment

Adam Hewison - MarketClub

Loading the player...

Perception, in my mind, is one of the most powerful forces in the market. Perception can help drive the market up or down and currently that direction is down.

Disillusionment happens when investors become so stressed out that they become disenchanted with the market, remember 2008?  That is what I think is beginning to take place right now in the markets. 

Let me give you an example with a well-known stock. Just two weeks ago Amazon was flirting with the $700 level and investors were falling over themselves to get into the stock that they thought was going to go much higher (perception). Now here we are 14 days later and Amazon has dropped over 20%. Did Amazon's business change dramatically overnight, are the prospects suddenly bad now for Amazon? The answer is no, what did change was perception. Almost overnight everybody who wanted to get into this stock became stressed and disillusioned and then wanted out.

Another example would be crude oil. A few years ago it was trading over $140 a barrel. This morning crude broke below $28 a barrel which is a target zone I mentioned over six weeks ago when crude was trading over $40 a barrel. Now the perception and disillusionment for crude is so high that many analysts think crude can go to $20 a barrel. I'm not so sure of that, what I am sure of is that the Trade Triangles will certainly keep you on the right track. Last year crude was a huge winner thanks to the Trade Triangle technology. 

I looked back at my first post of the year and many of the trends I talked about then are continuing to play out now. The Trade Triangles issued warning signals way back in mid-November that the Dow was in trouble and you should be out of the market. Did the Trade Triangles know that the market was going to break and drop so quickly? No, rather the Trade Triangles alert you to changes in trend - how far those trends go depends on the markets themselves.

Today I will be looking at several major markets and illustrating how to effectively use the Fibonacci tool.  

Leonardo Fibonacci was a mathematician born in 12th Century Italy. His study of Fibonacci numbers (a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two previous numbers) is often applied by modern technical analysts to find support and resistance in stock charts.

When one Fibonacci number is divided by the next number in the sequence, the result is approximately 62%. When that Fibonacci number is divided by the following number, the result is approximately 38%. These are the key Fibonacci retracement levels.

The principle behind a Fibonacci retracement is that after a stock moves upward or downward, the price will often retrace or correct some of this movement. Many technical analysts believe that the amount of retracement will often correspond to one of the Fibonacci levels. The five horizontal lines represent percentages of 100%, 62%, 50%, 38% and 0% (with 62 and 38 being Fibonacci numbers).

Back to videos

Get Started With Your 30-Day MarketClub Trial Right Now

Get Started

© Copyright MarketClub™ All rights reserved | User Agreement | Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MarketClub/INO, a division of TIFIN Group LLC, is affiliated with Magnifi via common ownership. Affiliates of Magnifi will receive cash compensation for referrals of clients who open accounts with Magnifi. Due to this compensation, a conflict of interest exists since MarketClub/INO has an incentive to recommend Magnifi LLC.

Magnifi LLC does not charge advisory fees or transaction fees for non-managed accounts. Clients who elect to have Magnifi LLC manage all or a portion of their account will be charged an advisory fee. Please see Magnifi’s Form ADV for additional information about fees and charges that may apply. Magnifi LLC receives compensation from product sponsors related to recommendations. Other fees and charges may apply.

Magnifi, normally $14 per month, will be available at no additional cost to MarketClub members. Account holders must be 18 years of age and have an approved Magnifi account. Magnifi will determine qualifying account holders at its own discretion.

U.S. Government Required Disclaimer—Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Futures and Options trading has large potential rewards, but also large potential risk. You must be aware of the risks and be willing to accept them in order to invest in the futures and options markets. Don't trade with money you can't afford to lose. This is neither a solicitation nor an offer to Buy/Sell futures or options. No representation is being made that any account will or is likely to achieve profits or losses similar to those discussed on this web site. The past performance of any trading system or methodology is not necessarily indicative of future results.

CFTC RULE 4.41—HYPOTHETICAL OR SIMULATED PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE CERTAIN LIMITATIONS. UNLIKE AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE RECORD, SIMULATED RESULTS DO NOT REPRESENT ACTUAL TRADING. ALSO, SINCE THE TRADES HAVE NOT BEEN EXECUTED, THE RESULTS MAY HAVE UNDER-OR-OVER COMPENSATED FOR THE IMPACT, IF ANY, OF CERTAIN MARKET FACTORS, SUCH AS LACK OF LIQUIDITY. SIMULATED TRADING PROGRAMS IN GENERAL ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE DESIGNED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFIT OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN.

All trades, patterns, charts, systems, etc., discussed in this advertisement and the product materials are for illustrative purposes only and not to be construed as specific advisory recommendations. All ideas and material presented are entirely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the publisher or INO.com. No system or methodology has ever been developed that can guarantee profits or ensure freedom from losses. No representation or implication is being made that using the MarketClub™ methodology or system will generate profits or ensure freedom from losses. The testimonials and examples used herein are exceptional results, which do not apply to the average member, and are not intended to represent or guarantee that anyone will achieve the same or similar results. Each individual's success depends on his or her background, dedication, desire, and motivation.

It’s not goodbye, it’s hello Magnifi!

You are now leaving a Magnifi Communities’ website and are going to a website that is not operated by Magnifi Communities. This website is operated by Magnifi LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser affiliated with Magnifi Communities.

Magnifi Communities does not endorse this website, its sponsor, or any of the policies, activities, products, or services offered on the site. We are not responsible for the content or availability of linked site.

Take Me To Magnifi